Harpenden Public Halls

Opened in 1938

By Les Casey

Photo:Detail from news-cutting - The Public Halls when opened in 1938

Detail from news-cutting - The Public Halls when opened in 1938

LHS archives

The Public Halls were built on land which had been part of the garden of Harpenden Hall. They were opened in 1938 to replace the old Public Hall (now known as Park Hall) in Leyton Road, which had been used for public events and proclamations since the late 1890s.

The design was typically modern for the period, but had a mixed reception from local people. Some compared it to the new London Underground stations of the time. However, the new hall offered improved facilities compared with the old one.

Photo:Plaque to Eric Morecambe

Plaque to Eric Morecambe

Rosemary Ross, 2011

In the late 1980s the main hall and foyer were refurbished as a memorial to Eric Morecambe who had lived in Harpenden. The main hall was named The Eric Morecambe Hall, while the Small Public Hall became the Southdown Room.

Photo:Original 1937 Harpenden `arms `

Original 1937 Harpenden `arms `

Above the canopy of the main entrance can be seen a Portland stone replica of the original Harpenden ‘arms’ as designed in 1937 by Frank O Salisbury.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Harpenden Public Halls' page

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 28/03/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.