Croft Nurseries, MacDonald, father and sons

Turf specialists at 29 Station Road

By Rosemary Ross

MacDonald's Nursery business started on the land to the east of Breadcroft Lane, where Breadcroft Mews and Croft Court were built in the 1970s, at what would be 56 Station Road.  Mr MacDonald and his sons started as 'ordinary nurserymen', according to Frank Wibberley's reminiscences (1979), but they made a speciality of improving the quality of turf used on golf-courses, and they expanded and moved to 29 Station Road, the nursery still being known as Croft Nursery.  The large level plot up to the boundary of Granary Lane was laid out as turf beds - now occupied by Kipling Way.  The brothers became nationally known, exhibiting at Royal Horticultural Shows.  They were proud royalists, decorating their house for the Silver Jubilee in 1935. 

Photo:The MacDonald brothers at the gate of 29 Station Road, decorated for the Silver Jubilee in 1935

The MacDonald brothers at the gate of 29 Station Road, decorated for the Silver Jubilee in 1935

LHS archives

Photo:LHS archives - RB170

LHS archives - RB170

Photo:James MacDonald with staff, gardens of 29 Station Road

James MacDonald with staff, gardens of 29 Station Road

LHS archives cat.no. LHS/009575 RB170

Photo:Turf beds on the site of Kipling Way, alongside Granary Lane

Turf beds on the site of Kipling Way, alongside Granary Lane

LHS archives, RB170

Photo:Mr MacDonald meets HM King George V and Queen Mary at his exhibit in the National Gardens Exhibition, c.1935

Mr MacDonald meets HM King George V and Queen Mary at his exhibit in the National Gardens Exhibition, c.1935

LHS archives - LHS 12,887

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 20/12/2011.
Comments about this page

"Macdonald of Harpenden" is mentioned in the 1919 minutes as being asked for advice regarding the greens at Stanmore Golf Club.

By Lee Patterson
On 14/03/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.