'Lost' pubs - 2

The afterlife of pubs and ale houses in West Common and Bowling Alley

By Rosemary Ross

style="display:none;"
Browse this gallery: style="display:none;"Next | style="display:none;"style="display:none;"Previous | style="display:none;"style="display:none;"Menustyle="display:none;"
style="display:none;"
Photo:Plan showing past and present pubs south of Station Road.  The 'lost' pubs are indicated with brackets.

Plan showing past and present pubs south of Station Road. The 'lost' pubs are indicated with brackets.

Les Casey

Photo:The Bull, Leyton Road, an inn from 1586.  Known as The Angell in 1613, and The Black Bull by 1639.  For a while it was a school house, but became an inn again by 1719, with a sign "The Bull" on the Common - which remained long after the building became a private house in the 1860s.  It was part of the Rothamsted estate.

The Bull, Leyton Road, an inn from 1586. Known as The Angell in 1613, and The Black Bull by 1639. For a while it was a school house, but became an inn again by 1719, with a sign "The Bull" on the Common - which remained long after the building became a private house in the 1860s. It was part of the Rothamsted estate.

John Marlow, 2011

Photo:The Cricketers, West Common, next to the Independent Chapel (now a private house).  It was 'for sale' in 1917, and appears to have closed shortly afterwards.

The Cricketers, West Common, next to the Independent Chapel (now a private house). It was 'for sale' in 1917, and appears to have closed shortly afterwards.

LHS collection

Photo:Site of The Cricketers - parking space for the private house in the former Independent Chapel in West Common

Site of The Cricketers - parking space for the private house in the former Independent Chapel in West Common

LHS collection

Photo:The Woodman's Arms, Pimlico Place, West Common.  Closed as a pub in 1928 and now a private house

The Woodman's Arms, Pimlico Place, West Common. Closed as a pub in 1928 and now a private house

LHS collection

Photo:The Fishmongers Arms, Wheathamstead (now Southdown) Road, was listed in the 1871 census.  William Read was landlord in 1898.  It was demolished in 1959.

The Fishmongers Arms, Wheathamstead (now Southdown) Road, was listed in the 1871 census. William Read was landlord in 1898. It was demolished in 1959.

LHS collection

Photo:George IV pub, Lower Cravells Road.  Now a private house

George IV pub, Lower Cravells Road. Now a private house

Les Casey, 2003

Photo:The Horse & Jockey Pub, St Albans Road - at the end of Harpenden Race Course.  Later, the White House, then Foxwood Lodge.

The Horse & Jockey Pub, St Albans Road - at the end of Harpenden Race Course. Later, the White House, then Foxwood Lodge.

Les Casey, 2003

style="display:none;"
Downloads
style="display:none;" style="display:none;"
Documents
style="display:none;" style="display:none;"
style="display:none;" style="display:none;"
style="display:none;"
This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 15/03/2011.