'Lost' pubs - 1

The afterlife of former pubs - High Street to Kinsbourne Green

By Rosemary Ross

Some old pubs and alehouses only survive as names in early records, some survive in sketches and old photos, and some have found a new lease of life, mostly as private houses.  Here are some of the photos in our collection. 

Does anyone have a photo of The Whip at Kinsbourne Green when it was a small ale house before 1930?

Photo:Plan showing past and present pubs north of Station Road.  The 'lost' pubs are indicated with brackets.

Plan showing past and present pubs north of Station Road. The 'lost' pubs are indicated with brackets.

Les Casey

Photo:The Whip, Luton Road, Kinsbourne Green - now a private house.  Cottage dates from at least 1874, when it belonged to Luton Hoo.  It was a small ale house from 1900 to 1932.

The Whip, Luton Road, Kinsbourne Green - now a private house. Cottage dates from at least 1874, when it belonged to Luton Hoo. It was a small ale house from 1900 to 1932.

LHS collection

Photo:The Old Leather Bottle flourished between 1870 and 1920.  It was replaced by Bentley's hardware stores (61 High Street), which closed c.1980.  A series of restaurants has occupied the building since then - in 2011 it is Sazio.

The Old Leather Bottle flourished between 1870 and 1920. It was replaced by Bentley's hardware stores (61 High Street), which closed c.1980. A series of restaurants has occupied the building since then - in 2011 it is Sazio.

LHS archive

Photo:The Foresters Arms, nicknamed Cobwell Hall, High Street.  Rebuilt in 1907, and closed as a pub in 1960.  It became Threshers wine merchants.  The building survives as Strutt & Parker, estate agents, at the entry to 'Foresters' - currently under redevelopment, with a giant crane dominating the High Street.

The Foresters Arms, nicknamed Cobwell Hall, High Street. Rebuilt in 1907, and closed as a pub in 1960. It became Threshers wine merchants. The building survives as Strutt & Parker, estate agents, at the entry to 'Foresters' - currently under redevelopment, with a giant crane dominating the High Street.

LHS collection

Photo:The Old Red Lion, 72 High Street.  An inn from the 18th century, when it was used for manor court business for Westminster Abbey.  When St Nicholas church school was being rebuilt in 1864, classes were held in the clubroom.  It closed in 1920, and became Reads cycle repair shop.  It was refurbished in 1976.  The left-hand part is now Billy's Bar, with Fine fitted Interiors at the right-hand end.

The Old Red Lion, 72 High Street. An inn from the 18th century, when it was used for manor court business for Westminster Abbey. When St Nicholas church school was being rebuilt in 1864, classes were held in the clubroom. It closed in 1920, and became Reads cycle repair shop. It was refurbished in 1976. The left-hand part is now Billy's Bar, with Fine fitted Interiors at the right-hand end.

LHS collection, c. 1900

Photo:The White Lion, High Street in the 1950s.

The White Lion, High Street in the 1950s.

Enlargement from a photo by Cecil Hallam (his studio was at the bottom of Thompson's Close)

Photo:The White Lion, still in business in the 1980s, with a new sign.  Now the sign for Perfect Pizza hangs from the same bracket.

The White Lion, still in business in the 1980s, with a new sign. Now the sign for Perfect Pizza hangs from the same bracket.

LHS collection

Photo:The Junction, 36a Station Road, a recent 'lost pub' which opened when Ackroyd's bakery closed in 1996

The Junction, 36a Station Road, a recent 'lost pub' which opened when Ackroyd's bakery closed in 1996

Les Casey, 1997

Photo:The Quiet Woman, 36a Station Road, with a coffee shop (Jumpin' Java) adjoining, briefly followed The Junction.  A series of restaurants, including The Acropolis, opened in the same premises, but Cafe Jeera has become established.

The Quiet Woman, 36a Station Road, with a coffee shop (Jumpin' Java) adjoining, briefly followed The Junction. A series of restaurants, including The Acropolis, opened in the same premises, but Cafe Jeera has become established.

Les Casey, 2001

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 15/03/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.