The Lawrence Family at Hatching Green

Photo:No. 4 is in the right-hand block

No. 4 is in the right-hand block

LHS collection

Photo:The White House, formerly the Horse & Jockey, at the end of Harpenden Racecourse

The White House, formerly the Horse & Jockey, at the end of Harpenden Racecourse

LHS archive

1900-1930

By Eric Meadows

No. 4 Thatched Cottages (the middle cottage of three), Hatching Green, Harpenden, was the home of the Lawrence family from c.1900 to c.1930.  There were 13 children, the last one born c.1920.  Their mother lived to the age of 94 years, dying after breaking a femur; until then a very fit woman.

In about 1930 this Lawrence family moved to the ‘White House’, St Albans Road, Harpenden – the isolated house on a bend about 300 yards south of Cross Lane.  That house then had no piped water or electricity, oil lamps being used after dark.

 

Information from a conversation with the youngest members of this family, who, together with a brother, had a bakery at Bricket Wood until about 1980.  He was living in retirement in a village just outside Inverness when Eric Meadows met him in 1987.

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 09/12/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.