The Story of 48 High Street

From a reference on the Tithe Award map of 1843 to Harpenden Books in 2016

By Rosemary Ross

Introduction: occupants before the present parade of shops was built

The Tithe Award Map of 1843, shows land belonging to Frances Kingston at plot 559.

Photo:Harpenden Tithe Award - tracing of Village - Church Green, Island. 559 is occupied by Jane Kingston

Harpenden Tithe Award - tracing of Village - Church Green, Island. 559 is occupied by Jane Kingston

LHS archives

We believe this to have been the site of Mr Smith’s School, for which an advertisement was found in the Bodlean Library, though the drawing may not be accurate. (2)

An early photograph of the High Street, looking south from the Cock Pond and Cock Inn, shows the boundary wall of what may have been Mrs Kingston’s properties. (3)

A photograph from a similar viewpoint show’s “Mr Lockhart’s house” in the 1880s. It is not clear if he built a new house, or incorporated the buildings already on the site. (4)

In 1886 Island Cottage (“tenant Mr Lockhart”) was up for sale (sold for £1620) It was described as “a double-gabled house with 11 rooms, gardens and coach-house, belonging to Mr Lockhart”. He moved to Lea House, at the corner of Ox Lane and Westfield Road (now a block of flats).

In 1887 Thomas Elmes (who lived at Coleswood, East Common) acquired properties at the corner of High Street and Church Green, now nos. 38 to 50 High Street and 1, 2 and 3 Church Green, which included Island Cottage. He was presumably instrumental in the building of this range of shops and flats - known at the time as "Elmes's Folly". This modernisation or urbanisation was not popular with older residents – nor were the telegraph poles erected in 1893 through Harpenden, several years before local telephone services were started in 1901. (5)

In September 1953, according to a report in the Harpenden Free Press, these properties (whose tenants included National Provincial Bank, W H Smiths, Home & Colonial Stores, Whitehouse's newsagents, Buttons outfitters and Mandley & Sparrow, estate agents) were sold to a single purchaser for an undisclosed price - believed to the highest price ever realised for any single property transaction in Harpenden. The sale was by direction of the trustees of George Elmes (1875-1948) who was the youngest son of Thomas Elmes of Coleswood. 

Occupants of the present building – selling clothes to gentlemen, then to ladies

By 1895 Daniel Skillman was established at 46 High Street (in Norwich House), with post-office and stationers (later Whitehouses, currently Martin’s newsagents. Kelly’s Directories for 1901 and 1903 indicate that the neighbouring premises may have been occupied by James and Elmes, veterinary surgeons.

1906-1927 : By 1906 James Pestell, tailor and outfitter moved from c.40 High Street. He traded at no.48 until 1923. (6). His advertisement made it look as though he occupied 46-50!

1923-1987 :Button Brothers, gents outfitters, were established for over 50 years.(7 & 8)

1988–1998 : Moss Brothers, trading as the Suit Company who continued a 

The past 20 years have seen many more changes:

Photo:Harpenden Books, April 2016

Harpenden Books, April 2016

Alan Bunting for LHS archives

1998 : Charity shop while vacant (10)

1998-2004: United Colours of Benetton (11)

2004-2005 : The Calendar Club – over the Christmas and New Year season (12, 13)

2005-2011 : Woosters (14)

2011-2015 : East (15)

2016- the future : Harpenden Books 

Photo:(2) An advertisement for Mr Smith's Academy, Harpenden - possibly Island cottage, Church Green, 1830s

(2) An advertisement for Mr Smith's Academy, Harpenden - possibly Island cottage, Church Green, 1830s

LHS archives - P'copy from a journal in the Bodleian Library, Oxford

Photo:(3) High St, with Cock Pond, looking South, 1870s, detail

(3) High St, with Cock Pond, looking South, 1870s, detail

LHS archives - LHS 12653

Photo:(4) 'Mr Lockhart's house', c.1887

(4) 'Mr Lockhart's house', c.1887

LHS archives - LHS 00012

Photo:(5) High St, with Cock Pond, looking South c.1895, LHS 4473

(5) High St, with Cock Pond, looking South c.1895, LHS 4473

LHS archives - LHS 4473

Photo:(6) Press advertisment for J Pestell

(6) Press advertisment for J Pestell

Geoff Woodward collection

Photo:(7) Buttons with hunt passing, from a postcard, 1920s

(7) Buttons with hunt passing, from a postcard, 1920s

LHS archives - LHS 4471

Photo:(8) Buttons, in 1976.

(8) Buttons, in 1976.

LHS archives - LHS 00872

Photo:(9) Suit & Co, 1991 LFC, LHS 4198

(9) Suit & Co, 1991 LFC, LHS 4198

LHS archives - Les Casey, LHS 4198

Photo:(10) 1998 temporary charity shop

(10) 1998 temporary charity shop

LHS archives - LHS 6082

Photo:(11) United Colours of Benetton in 2003

(11) United Colours of Benetton in 2003

LHS archives - LFC, LHS 8291

Photo:(12) Vacant in August 2004.

(12) Vacant in August 2004.

LHS archives - LFC, LHS 8679

Photo:(13) Calendar Club, December 2004 - closed in January 2005

(13) Calendar Club, December 2004 - closed in January 2005

LHS archives - LFC, LHS 8785

Photo:(14) Woosters c. 2005

(14) Woosters c. 2005

Geoff Woodward collection

Photo:(15) East, 2011.

(15) East, 2011.

LHS archives - LFC, LHS 12592

This page was added by Rosemary Ross on 14/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.