Exhibitions

Programme of quarterly exhibitions in Park Hall

By Les Casey, curator

Photo:Park Hall - The History room is on the left of the entrance.

Park Hall - The History room is on the left of the entrance.

Les Casey

The History Society has a room at Park Hall, Leyton Road, where artefacts and archival material are stored, including an extensive collection of historic photographs. 

Photo:Les Casey, curator

Les Casey, curator

John Olley

An exhibition of a selection of photographs and other items from the collection is held every quarter in the main hall, open to all.  Exhibitions at Park Hall are usually open from 2.30 to 4.30 pm. The History Centre is also open when there is an exhibition, and you are welcome to look at the archives and resources we have, or to contact us for an appointment at another time.


Some photos from the exhibition on 3 June 2017 on

MANLAND - How it has  changed from Common and farmland through the 1900s and into the 21st century

have been added below.  We continue to be interested in gaining information from deeds of residents in the area, to understand the sequence of development and who were the builders and architects who formed the character of the area from 1900 to the 1930s.

 The next exhibition is due on Saturday, 2 September - the theme to be announced shortly

ADMISSION IS FREE 

REFRESHMENTS AVAILABLE

Bookstall for the sale of The Story of Harpenden from Village to Town - £3 and copies of Harpenden Races, £3, Happy World and other publications


EXHIBITION DATES for 2017

 2 September, 2 December


Photo:Display cabinet in Harpenden Library

Display cabinet in Harpenden Library

Rosemary Ross, February 2014

Photo:Not easy to display photos

Not easy to display photos

Rosemary Ross, February 2014

Since the opening of Harpenden Library on the Lower High Street in July 2013, the Society has the use of two glass display stands. Les Casey mounts alternating changing exhibits in these stands - themes have included Plaits and Hats, Pen and Ink, Made for Harpenden, Roman finds in Harpenden, Harpenden Races.


On 3 June 2017 many residents from the Manland area came to share their interest in the area, its origins on mediaeval fields, and how it was developed once farmland and strips from the Manland Common was being sold from the 1870s onwards.

Photo:Aerial views of Manland, and a plan dated 1911 showing the proposed road which became Crossway

Aerial views of Manland, and a plan dated 1911 showing the proposed road which became Crossway

R Ross, 3 June 2017

 

Photo:Auction brochures and plans for houses in Manland Avenue, together with maps showing the field boundaries which are reflected in road layout

Auction brochures and plans for houses in Manland Avenue, together with maps showing the field boundaries which are reflected in road layout

R Ross, 3 June 2017

Photo:Some of the interesting people associated with the Manland area: Katherine Warington, Malcolm Saville, Julian Harrison, Captain Esterhazy (Count de Voilement), Cornelia Clutterbuck and members of the Salisbury family

Some of the interesting people associated with the Manland area: Katherine Warington, Malcolm Saville, Julian Harrison, Captain Esterhazy (Count de Voilement), Cornelia Clutterbuck and members of the Salisbury family

R Ross, 3 June 2017

Photo:Randalls Nurseries in Ox Lane sent vegetables and flowers to the London markets on trains from Harpenden East station until the 1950s

Randalls Nurseries in Ox Lane sent vegetables and flowers to the London markets on trains from Harpenden East station until the 1950s

R.Ross, 3 June 2017

Photo:The Great Northern branch line opened in 1860, and was Harpenden's first link to London

The Great Northern branch line opened in 1860, and was Harpenden's first link to London

R Ross, 3 June 2017

Photo:Manland Avenue, the west side, with Manland Beacon in a prominent situation

Manland Avenue, the west side, with Manland Beacon in a prominent situation

R Ross, 3 June 2017

Photo:Crossway - St Margaret's Orphanage. opened in September 1914, was the first building on the unmade road.

Crossway - St Margaret's Orphanage. opened in September 1914, was the first building on the unmade road.

R Ross, 3 June 2017

Photo:Westway is the scene of recent demolition to access the old orchard behind

Westway is the scene of recent demolition to access the old orchard behind

R Ross, 3 June 2017


On 24 October 2015 we mounted a special exhibition in Batford Memorial Hall, first shown on 5 September in Park Hall

Photo:Batford Memorial Hall, general view

Batford Memorial Hall, general view

R Ross, 24 Oct 2015

Photo:Lea Valley Group display, Batford Exhibition

Lea Valley Group display, Batford Exhibition

R Ross, 24 Oct 2015

Photo:Local industries in Batford

Local industries in Batford

R Ross, 24 Oct 2015

Photo:Alex Thomas describing new archaeological discoveries

Alex Thomas describing new archaeological discoveries

R Ross, 24 Oct 2015

 

Our new screens were used for the first time for the Carnivals & Celebrations exhibition as part of Harpenden Carnival on 6 June 2015

Photo:New display board, Carnivals & Celebrations exhibition, 6 June 2015

New display board, Carnivals & Celebrations exhibition, 6 June 2015

David Whitbread, Harpenden Photographic Society

The December 2014 exhibition on Harpenden from the Air attracted plenty of interest. 

The September exhibition on The Home Front in Harpenden - 1939 covered a range of themes, including the evacuation scheme, evacuees from East London, Enfield and Hastings, the Home Guard and other preparations for WWII

PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE INFORMATION, OR ITEMS WHICH YOU MIGHT BE WILLING TO ADD TO THE SOCIETY'S ARCHIVES.

 

 


Photo:Beyond the Nickey Line - 1 March 2014

Beyond the Nickey Line - 1 March 2014

Rosemary Ross, March 2014

The theme of the exhibition on 1 March 2014 was "Beyond the Nickey Line", from Park Hill to Kinsbourne Green, Harpenden's 'dry' valley from the Ice Age to the present, National Children's Home & Sanatorium, Kennesbarne and Harpendenbury, and Roman excavations at Friars Wash.

The theme of the exhibition on Saturday, 7 December 2013, was "Southdown", including long-vanished streets in Bowling Alley, local shops and businesses and pubs, only some of which have survived under the same sign.

Local authors Geoff Ackroyd and John Seabrook displayed their latest books on Harpenden.

Photo:Changing shops and businesses in Southdown

Changing shops and businesses in Southdown

John Olley, 7 December 2013

Photo:Southdown

Southdown

John Olley, 7 December 2013

Photo:Vanishing pubs in Southdown

Vanishing pubs in Southdown

John Olley, 7 December 2013

Photo:John Seabrook and his wife, displaying the new edition of Bowling Alley Boyhood

John Seabrook and his wife, displaying the new edition of Bowling Alley Boyhood

John Olley, 7 December 2013


On 1 June 2013 Harpenden Red Cross Society put together a comprehensive exhibition covering 75 years of the Red Cross in Harpenden. We hope to feature this shortly on a separate page.

Some recent exhibitions are illustrated below:

Photo:Marion Donaldson with Les Casey, 75 Years of the Red Cross in Harpenden on 1 June 2013

Marion Donaldson with Les Casey, 75 Years of the Red Cross in Harpenden on 1 June 2013

Alan Bunting

Photo:The Red Cross team - Linda Black, Caroline Carden, unit leader Jean Leake, exhibition organiser Marion Donaldson, Marian Fooks, Karen Martin and Sonja Clarke.

The Red Cross team - Linda Black, Caroline Carden, unit leader Jean Leake, exhibition organiser Marion Donaldson, Marian Fooks, Karen Martin and Sonja Clarke.

Alan Bunting

Photo:Geology Exhibition, 2 March 2013 - specimens from Les Casey's collection

Geology Exhibition, 2 March 2013 - specimens from Les Casey's collection

John Olley

Photo:Geology exhibition, 2 March 2013 - specimens of coal and minerals from Les Casey's collection

Geology exhibition, 2 March 2013 - specimens of coal and minerals from Les Casey's collection

John Olley

Photo:Jubilee exhibition - 2 June 2012 - display of fairy lights from 1935 Jubliee celebrations

Jubilee exhibition - 2 June 2012 - display of fairy lights from 1935 Jubliee celebrations

John Olley. 2 June 2012

Photo:Jubliee exhibition - the display of garments worn by Society Chairman, Gavin Ross, at the Coronation, June 1953, caused some surprise and amusement

Jubliee exhibition - the display of garments worn by Society Chairman, Gavin Ross, at the Coronation, June 1953, caused some surprise and amusement

John Olley. 2 June 2012

Photo:Selling "Theodora's Journals" , 3 March 2012

Selling "Theodora's Journals" , 3 March 2012

Rosemary Ross

Photo:Friends Re-united:  Freddie Luck, John Olley and Shirley Olley nee Griffin, met while visiting the Exhibition of Maps, and exchanged reminiscences based on the 1924 map of Southdown.

Friends Re-united: Freddie Luck, John Olley and Shirley Olley nee Griffin, met while visiting the Exhibition of Maps, and exchanged reminiscences based on the 1924 map of Southdown.

Rosemary Ross, June 2011

Park Hall, Leyton Road

This page was added by David Hinton on 08/06/2010.
Comments about this page

The Society's exhibition on Saturday, 3 June 2017 focused on the Manland area, and featured a recent photographic survey of the state of the 'built environment' which is in constant flux. As an experiment, we leafleted all the houses in the area, and this brought in many people new to our exhibitions. Some responded to our request to bring in the deeds of their home, which will add useful information to our records of who built and designed houses from the early 1900s, and opened up new roads in the 1920s and 1930s.

We displayed maps from the office of Arthur & Stanley Salisbury, architects and surveyors of land bought by their father, James Wright Salisbury in 1882. These 1898 OS maps were annotated with possible new roads, such as a direct connection from Cornwall Road to what is now Westway.  It gives an insight into the minds of developers and speculators. 

Though the exhibition has been packed away, since it is impossible for us to store displays on the screens, we will be pleased to answer queries or receive more information, by contacting us through enquiries@harpenden-history.org.uk

 

By Rosemary Ross
On 13/06/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.