Exhibitions

Programme of quarterly exhibitions in Park Hall

Photo:Park Hall - The History room is on the left of the entrance.

Park Hall - The History room is on the left of the entrance.

Les Casey

The History Society has a room at Park Hall, Leyton Road, where artefacts and archival material are stored, including an extensive collection of historic photographs.

We have for many years held quarterly exhibitions on the first Saturday of March, June, September and December from 2.30 to 4.30pm, on a wide range of themes* See below 

The History Centre is also open when there is an exhibition, and you are welcome to look at the archives and resources we have, or to contact us for an appointment at another time - this service will resume in September 2020.  

Our new curator

Photo:David and Janet Keen

David and Janet Keen

David Keen

 

David Keen, born in Harpenden into the family of Charles Read, and a long-standing member of the Society, is taking on the role of curator at a challenging time for the Society. His wife Janet has also joined the Committee and is working with him to assess the Society's artefacts, which are now in safe, secure storage.

Janet Keen has taken on the roll of Programme Secretary.


OUR PROGRAMME OF QUARTERLY EXHIBITIONS HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE

WATCH HERE FOR UPDATES

****************************

Meanwhile we are taking the opportunity

offered by Covid19 to work on preparing

our collection of artefacts and archives

for our long-hoped-for 

Harpenden Museum

which we hope will open in 2021

 

For on-line purchase of The Story of Harpenden from Village to Town - £3 and copies of Harpenden Races, £3, Happy World and other publications please go to our Publications 

*************************

The exhibition on 7 March 2020 featured old maps, plans of developments such as The Avenues in 1897, proposals for development of all land with Harpenden Urban District Council boundaries in the 1950s

The exhibition in December 2019 featured Harpenden's first housing estate - PARKVIEW, including Milton, Shakespeare, Spenser and Cowper Road, developed in the 1880s, with information about people who have lived there. Here is an overview of the exhibition.  We hope to publish more detailed pages in due course.

The June 2019 exhibition on Harpenden's Pubs and Breweries attracted an interested reaction to how many pubs there still are, despite so many having disappeared.  Memories of youthful pub-crawling were shared!

Our exhibition on Saturday, 2 March 2019 featured Harpenden's Schools - The Best Days of Your Life? - ranging from the earliest recorded schools, Harpenden's Board and National Schools of the nineteenth century to the newst - Harpenden Academy and Katharine Warington's school's building site.

Our December 2018 exhibition, held in partnership with St Albans, Harpenden & District Philatelic Society, was on Saturday, 1 December 2018, on "Commemorating Harpenden in the Great War" and "The Great War Through the Post Box" including life on the Home front, billeting 1000s of Sherwood Foresters, caring for the wounded, Armistice Day in Harpenden and the aftermath of the war years and postcards, stamps and postal history.

Photo:WWI display in Harpenden Library

WWI display in Harpenden Library

R Ross, November 2018

Photo:Library display of WWI cards

Library display of WWI cards

R Ross, November 2018

 


 

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Exhibitions' page

R Ross, February 2014

Library display cabinets

Since the opening of Harpenden Library on the Lower High Street in July 2013, the Society has the use of two glass display stands. It is not easy to use these spaces, but David and Janet Keen are devising changing displays.

 




Our new screens were used for the first time for the Carnivals & Celebrations exhibition as part of Harpenden Carnival on 6 June 2015

Photo:New display board, Carnivals & Celebrations exhibition, 6 June 2015

New display board, Carnivals & Celebrations exhibition, 6 June 2015

David Whitbread, Harpenden Photographic Society

 

PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE INFORMATION, OR ITEMS WHICH YOU MIGHT BE WILLING TO ADD TO THE SOCIETY'S ARCHIVES.

 

 


 

On 1 June 2013 Harpenden Red Cross Society put together a comprehensive exhibition covering 75 years of the Red Cross in Harpenden. We hope to feature this shortly on a separate page.

Some recent exhibitions are illustrated below:

Photo:Marion Donaldson with Les Casey, 75 Years of the Red Cross in Harpenden on 1 June 2013

Marion Donaldson with Les Casey, 75 Years of the Red Cross in Harpenden on 1 June 2013

Alan Bunting

Photo:The Red Cross team - Linda Black, Caroline Carden, unit leader Jean Leake, exhibition organiser Marion Donaldson, Marian Fooks, Karen Martin and Sonja Clarke.

The Red Cross team - Linda Black, Caroline Carden, unit leader Jean Leake, exhibition organiser Marion Donaldson, Marian Fooks, Karen Martin and Sonja Clarke.

Alan Bunting

Photo:Jubilee exhibition - 2 June 2012 - display of fairy lights from 1935 Jubliee celebrations

Jubilee exhibition - 2 June 2012 - display of fairy lights from 1935 Jubliee celebrations

John Olley. 2 June 2012

Photo:Jubliee exhibition - the display of garments worn by Society Chairman, Gavin Ross, at the Coronation, June 1953, caused some surprise and amusement

Jubliee exhibition - the display of garments worn by Society Chairman, Gavin Ross, at the Coronation, June 1953, caused some surprise and amusement

John Olley. 2 June 2012

Photo:Selling "Theodora's Journals" , 3 March 2012

Selling "Theodora's Journals" , 3 March 2012

Rosemary Ross

Photo:Friends Re-united:  Freddie Luck, John Olley and Shirley Olley nee Griffin, met while visiting the Exhibition of Maps, and exchanged reminiscences based on the 1924 map of Southdown.

Friends Re-united: Freddie Luck, John Olley and Shirley Olley nee Griffin, met while visiting the Exhibition of Maps, and exchanged reminiscences based on the 1924 map of Southdown.

Rosemary Ross, June 2011

Park Hall, Leyton Road

This page was added by David Hinton on 08/06/2010.
Comments about this page

The Society's exhibition on Saturday, 3 June 2017 focused on the Manland area, and featured a recent photographic survey of the state of the 'built environment' which is in constant flux. As an experiment, we leafleted all the houses in the area, and this brought in many people new to our exhibitions. Some responded to our request to bring in the deeds of their home, which will add useful information to our records of who built and designed houses from the early 1900s, and opened up new roads in the 1920s and 1930s.

We displayed maps from the office of Arthur & Stanley Salisbury, architects and surveyors of land bought by their father, James Wright Salisbury in 1882. These 1898 OS maps were annotated with possible new roads, such as a direct connection from Cornwall Road to what is now Westway.  It gives an insight into the minds of developers and speculators. 

Though the exhibition has been packed away, since it is impossible for us to store displays on the screens, we will be pleased to answer queries or receive more information, by contacting us through enquiries@harpenden-history.org.uk

 

By Rosemary Ross
On 13/06/2017