Milton Road

In September 1884 "building land (21 plots in Park View Estate) in Strakers [Stakers] Lane (Station Road), at the corner with Cowper Road, and other plots in Cowper Road; also building land in Milton Road adjoining the house and grounds of R Warington" were offered for sale.  In 1900, ten acres of "mowing grass" on the "east of Milton Road" were for sale.  The development of the road, for large, mostly detached, gentlemen's dwellings seems to have been piecemeal.  By the 1950s many of these houses were deemed too large to maintain and were demolished to make way for blocks of flats and closes.  Some large trees remain from the extensive gardens, especially on the west/railway side of the road.

Page link: After 'Rosemary'
After 'Rosemary'
The many functions of 28 Milton Road
Page link: Milton Road East Side
Milton Road East Side
Shakespeare Road to Crabtree Lane
Page link: Milton Road East Side
Milton Road East Side
Station Rd to Shakespeare Rd
Page link: Milton Road West Side
Milton Road West Side
Station Road to Crabtree Lane
Page link: Park View Estate
Park View Estate
The Development of Milton Road
Page link: Park View House
Park View House
Glimpse of a Victorian villa
Page link: The Fishers at Milton Lodge
The Fishers at Milton Lodge
Darwin, evolution and links with Milton Road