Walks about Harpenden

Despite the huge expansion of Harpenden during the 20th century, there remains a network of footpaths through housing developments which lead to fieldpaths in all directions.  Two former railway lines have been converted into footpaths and cycleways - one through the Lea Valley, linking with paths across Marshall's Heath, Mackeyre End and Bowers Heath to the east.  The Nickey Line links paths across the Rothamsted estate and across to Redbourn and Friars Wash to the west.  From the Common paths lead to the newly established Heartwood Forest across Ayres End Lane, and to Beesonend and Redbournbury Mill.

Page link: A West Common Walk
A West Common Walk
From The Silver Cup to Redbourn Lane
Page link: Harpenden Town Trail 1 - The High Street
Harpenden Town Trail 1 - The High Street
A photo gallery with links to more information and pictures
Page link: Harpenden Town Trail 2 - The Common
Harpenden Town Trail 2 - The Common
A gallery of the pictures and links to further information
Page link: Memories of old Harpenden around 1900
Memories of old Harpenden around 1900
An article in Harpenden Free Press, 20 April 1960, illustrated with photos from our archives